After a fresh confrontation between the Indian and Chinese armed forces on the South bank of Pangong Lake a few days ago, (public) attention is focused on how the two countries will resolve the border impasse. India’s PRINT news network quoted a senior official of the Indian Government on the 7th to report that in order to avoid disrupting the ongoing negotiations on India-China disengagement and easing the border situation, India has not invited Australia formally to participate in this year’s “Malabar” military exercise. In addition, India is also looking forward to the meeting between the Foreign Ministers of India and China. However, there is news that the Indian side continues to make “military preparations.”
The “Malabar” military exercise is a maritime military exercise jointly held by the United States, Japan and India once a year. It was previously reported that India intends to invite Australia to participate in this year’s military exercise. Indian media reported on the 7th that if Australia was invited to participate in the “Malabar” military exercise at this time, it would mean sending a “blockbuster signal” to China that countries in the Indo-Pacific region are forming a military alliance against China. Sources said that this move may make China “uneasy” and disrupt the ongoing India-China dialogue. It is said that in addition to not inviting Australia, India is still considering postponing the military exercise. According to sources, multiple reasons such as the new corona pneumonia epidemic, the US election and the sudden resignation of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe may prevent the “Malabar” military exercises from being held on time this year.
China and India continued to hold a brigade commander-level dialogue on the 6th, but the Indian media said that “no progress has been made.” The Hindustan Times quoted a source as having said on the 7th that such dialogues have been going on, mainly to prevent the escalation of the conflict. According to the report, the dialogue between the two sides has continued for a full week since the situation on the South bank of Bangong Lake developed on August 29, “but there is still no consensus.”
At present, the Indian media are paying close attention to the upcoming bilateral meeting between the Foreign Ministers of India and China in Moscow, the Russian capital. According to the “Hindustan Times” report, it is expected that the Indian Foreign Minister Jaishankar will arrive in Moscow on the 8th. India and China are to discuss the specific time of the meeting. According to the “India Express”, India and China have been accusing each other of being responsible for the border confrontation since May this year. The military and diplomatic dialogue between the two countries also seems to have reached a deadlock. Can the successive meetings between the Defense Ministers and Foreign Ministers be the essence of the border tensions? An easing is highly anticipated. According to the report, Indian senior officials will use this round of Ministerial meetings to observe and test China’s “commitment and sincerity in resolving the crisis” and accordingly determine India’s subsequent tactical orientation.
According to a report in India’s NDTV station of the 7th, Madhav, a senior Indian party functionary, attended the funeral of a “Special Frontier Force” soldier, who was reportedly killed in an accident of stepping on a landmine in an operation on the South bank of Pangong Lake last week. According to reports, Madhav shared the funeral photos on personal social media, but later deleted them. This move was interpreted as sending a “strong signal” to China. It is said that most of the “Special Frontier Force” are Tibetans in exile in India. The Indian Mint News quoted two military officials as saying that India is ready for a “long-term military confrontation“. It is also reported that the Indian Border Roads Organization is also speeding up road construction and upgrading, “working almost all day” to ensure that the Indian army can move quickly during wartime. It is worth noting that the Indian Defense Research and Development Organization successfully test-fired a “hypersonic test verification vehicle” at the Orissa testing ground on the 7th, making India the fourth country after the United States, Russia and China to successfully test indigenous hypersonic technology.
In response to India’s recent claim that five Indian youths were missing in “Arunachal Pradesh”, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on the 7th that he did not know the specific information for the time being. China’s position on the Eastern section of the China-India border, that is, China’s Southern Tibet region, is consistent and clear. China has never recognized the so-called “Arunachal Pradesh” illegally established on Chinese territory.