The frontline troops of the two armies on the southern and northern banks of Pangong Lake began to organize simultaneous disengagement on Feb. 10. Indian media previously reported that the disengagement between the two sides in the area was completed on the 20th. According to the Indian Express, Chief of Staff of the Indian Army Naravane first boasted of the Indian side’s efforts in the disengagement, and then said that the disengagement between the Chinese and Indian armies at Pangong Lake was a “very good end result” and a win-win situation for both countries.
Screenshot of the report in The Indian Express
On the same day, Naravane first boasted about India’s efforts to resolve the India-China standoff at an online seminar organized by the Vivekananda International Foundation, an Indian think tank. He reportedly said at the time that all sides in India were working together from the outset of the standoff, and that at the political level, both Indian Defense Minister Singh and Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar were engaged in dialogue with their Chinese counterparts.
In addition, he said, the advice provided by India’s National Security Advisor has been very practical and has helped the Indian side formulate countermeasures.
“Because of all these approaches taken, (both sides) disengaged.” Naravane said, “I think it’s a very good end result, it’s a win-win situation. I think so far, the ten rounds of talks (between India and China) have worked out well.”
However, the report mentioned that Naravane also said there are still outstanding issues in areas such as Depsang and Eastern “Ladakh”, “but we have a strategy for that. Do we still have any (issues) to negotiate in the future? Yes, we certainly do”.
According to the consensus reached at the ninth round of military commanders level talks between India and China, the front-line troops of the two armies located on the southern and northern banks of Pangong Lake began synchronized and organised disengagement on Feb. 10. The Times of India said on February 21 that the disengagement between the two sides in the area had been completed the previous day. Indian sources familiar with the tenth round of talks told local media that “the talks are going well” and that the Indian side hopes “the next phase of the disengagement process will be as smooth as the previous one.
The Chinese Ministry of Defense issued a news release on the evening of Feb. 21, saying that on Feb. 20, the Chinese and Indian armies held the tenth round of military commander-level talks on the Chinese side of the Moldo/Chushul meeting point. The two sides gave positive comments on the disengagement of frontline troops in the Pangong Lake area in the early stage, considering it an important development that provides a basis for resolving remaining issues in the Western sector of the India-China border along the Line of Actual Control. The two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on other issues in the Western sector of the Line of Actual Control. The two sides agreed to follow the important consensus of the leaders of the two countries, continue to maintain communication and dialogue, stabilise the situation on the ground, reach a mutually acceptable solution in a steady and orderly manner and jointly maintain peace and tranquility in the border area.